Today, Shift 360 is proud to sign the Dignified Storytelling Pledge.
The Dignified Storytelling pledge is guided by the 10 principles of dignified storytelling which were developed through a consultative process with a diverse group of stakeholders from UN agencies, INGOs, local NGOs and civil society.
Supported by Dubai Cares, Expo 2020 Dubai and the UAE Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation (MOFAIC), Dignified Storytelling seeks to foster a common understanding of how storytelling can and should instill and maintain the dignity of all persons, helping to create an environment of positivity that strengthens long-term relationships between the public and the development sector.
Affirming that each of us has the power to contribute to positive change, in signing the pledge, Shift 360 commits to tell stories about the people we work with and serve that are characterised by deep respect, full transparency, and social responsibility.
Specifically, we commit to tell stories with the following actions:
- Putting the well-being and dignity of the people in the stories first, honouring their wishes on what story is told and how it is told.
- Treating each individual as a whole person, capable of filling many roles and possessing of inherent dignity and worth.
- Representing every community as dynamic and multi-dimensional.
- Obtaining informed, full, and free consent from contributors.
- Show realities and change prospects with accuracy and authenticity.
- Processing, managing, and using content responsibly.
- Working to mitigate the harmful effects of bias, stereotypes, social stigmas, and power differences.
- Holding local social, moral, and cultural norms in high regard.
- Considering the impact of any story on individuals, communities, and the natural environment.
- Seeking to use storytelling as a means of inspiration and empowerment for both contributors and audiences
Find out more about Dignified Storytelling here.